1.1 BitSpot.Me, including the services we offer through it, (“BitSpot.Me”) is owned and operated by BitSpotMe Ltd.
(“BitSpotMe”, “we”, “us” or “our” as appropriate). For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998, the data controller is BitSpotMe Ltd.
2.1 The information we collect on BitSpot.Me and the way we use that information includes the following:
When creating an account and joining the BitSpot.Me community, we collect:
- Your email address – this is not displayed publicly on BitSpot.Me. We use this information for the following purposesto manage and communicate with you about your access to, or use of, BitSpot.Me, as well as to inform you of updates to your account;
- if you choose to support a project, we provide your e-mail address to the creator of the project(‘Project Owner’) once the project you have backed is successful to enable you to have direct discussions with him/her about the project;
- to send you e-alerts when there is activity on a project that you have created, are supporting or are watching;
- Your username – we ask you to provide a username by which you can be identified publicly. Please note that your username should not feature your last name or contain any other personal information that could be used to identify you (e.g. your address). If your username with Facebook (or any other third party authentication provider) contains personal information, we recommend you do not use such third party facilities to link to BitSpot.Me and instead create a BitSpot.Me account in the standard way. We reserve the right to reject usernames that are offensive, defamatory or which we otherwise think are unsuitable. If the project you choose to support is successful in reaching its target funding within the target timescale, then we will provide your username to the Project Owner so that they can contact you to arrange for your reward.
- Your postcode – Your postcode will not be disclosed to the public, except in the circumstances noted in the first paragraph below. We use your postcode:
- if you are a Project Owner, to identify the location on the BitSpot.Me map in which your project is taking place, in order for Community Members to search for projects near a postcode; and
- to provide you with information (including content and projects) that you might find interesting based on your location, (e.g. projects local to you).
Any personal information you choose to include in your ‘My Profile’ page (e.g. your photo). We use this information:
- to populate your profile. You photo is viewable by other users, where for example, you choose to support a Project. No other information in your profile is made publicly available by us; and
- to facilitate interaction between Community Members.
- Authentication providers
- If you choose to create a BitSpot.Me account using Facebook Connect (or any other authentication provider), we are provided with profile and photo data about you through their application programming interface (API). We use this to create your account, allow you to interact with BitSpot.Me and in some instances to identify you publicly on BitSpot.Me. For example, if you choose to support a Project, the photo from your Facebook profile will then be viewable by other users. By clicking on the authentication providers’ link, you are consenting to share this information with us.
- As a project owner we collect your phone number, date of birth, postcode, first name and last name. We reserve the right to use this data to send to a third party provider to verify your personal details. These details are not publically accessible, your postcode and date of birth are encrypted on our servers.
If you post information during use of BitSpot.Me, we collect:
- Any other personal information you choose to disclose during your use of BitSpot.Me. Examples include when you update your profile, list a news item, post a guide, make a comment, upload a photo, share a link, create a Project, send someone a message or otherwise engage in the BitSpot.Me community. This information is viewable by other users. We use this information to:
- enable you to engage more fully with the BitSpot.Me community;
- enable other members to search for you and communicate with you; and
- enable other members to provide you with feedback.
We do not sell or rent your personal information. We may, however, disclose information about you to the following, for the express purposes set out below:
If you create an account with BitSpot.Me:
- to our employees and agents for them to administer any accounts or services provided to you through BitSpot.Me. e.g. the sending of e-alerts on our behalf.
If you post content:
- as a member you are publicly identified to other users of BitSpot.Me by your username. We therefore recommend that you do not use your real name as your username or provide any other personally identifiable information on the publicly viewable site, like your name or contact details;
- we may display some information that is publicly available on BitSpot.Me, on third party websites that are closely connected to the BitSpot.Me project and wish to embed BitSpot.Me activity. So, by way of example, user generated content such as titles of users’ posts on BitSpot.Me groups would be displayed on such third party sites with a link back to BitSpot.Me. To the extent that usernames or personal information is included in that user generated content on BitSpot.Me, it may be displayed on such third party sites. So for example if a listing included a username or a member’s photo, that information may also be displayed on the third party website. Just to be clear, this information will be embedded on any such third party website as a link. We will not hand over that information to the third party website;
Transfer of business:
- Apart from the use and sharing of your personal information in the limited circumstances already described, the only ways we may share your information are if we need to disclose personal information to protect our and our licensors’ rights and property or to comply with any applicable law or valid legal process.
TO BE COMPLETED
Cookies and log files
8.2 We may also store information about you using cookies (files which are sent by us to your computer or other access device) which we can access when you visit our site in future. We do this to recognise you as a user when you return to this website using the same device and web browser.
If you want to delete any cookies that are already on your computer, please refer to the instructions for your file management software to locate the file or directory that stores cookies. Information on deleting or controlling cookies is available at www.allaboutcookies.org. Please note that by deleting our cookies or disabling future cookies you may not be able to access certain areas or features of our site.
To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
8.3 We use data from Google’s Interest-based advertising or 3rd-party audience data (such as age, gender and interests) with Google Analytics for marketing purposes.
8.4 By using BitSpot.Me, you are agreeing to the use of the cookies listed above.
10.2 As required by the UK Data Protection laws, we follow strict security procedures in the storage and disclosure of information which you have given to us, to prevent unauthorised access. In particular, we use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) to encrypt your password. SSL encrypts the information you provide as it travels through the Internet. Encryption creates billions of code combinations to protect each transaction made on the website, so your password or information cannot be viewed by anyone else using the internet. Despite using this technology, we cannot guarantee the security of the information that you disclose to us. You accept the inherent risks of providing information and dealing on-line and will not hold us responsible for any breach of security unless this is due to our negligence or willful default.
10.3 If you have any concerns about security, please email us at talk@BitSpot.Me.
11.1 You can click the unsubscribe link included in an email or edit your settings by clicking on your username to view your Profile page and selecting “Edit Settings” or to:
- stop receiving e-alerts or newsletters from us.
11.2 You can also edit your settings as described above in 11.1 to:
- change your location details
- stop receiving messages from other BitSpot.Me members;
- change your Profile picture;
- change your password.
12.1 You can access and edit information provided in your Profile. You cannot edit any comments you make on BitSpot.Me.
Your right to see your personal information
12.2 Under the Data Protection Act you have the right to see the personal information that we hold about you, whether collected through your use of BitSpot.Me or through any communications that you have had with us. You will need to provide us with a written request and pay a small fee. If you have any queries about your right or wish to make such a request please contact us by email at talk@BitSpot.Me or by post addressed to the Data Protection Officer, 11 Cliff Road, Newquay, Cornwall, TR7 2NE
12.3 You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by choosing certain options on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at the address provided in clause 12.2.
13.1 Your personal information may be transferred to, stored at, or processed at a destination outside the EEA. It may be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers. Such staff may be engaged in, among other things, the provision of support services.
15.1 BitSpotMe LTD is a company incorporated in England and Wales, whose registered office address is:
BitSpotMe LTD, 20-22 Wenlock Road, London, N1 7GU